Friday, November 30, 2007

Blue Skies

One of my favorite things at a wedding to do is to try to get a "scene setter" shot of the reception venue right after sundown. It's a little tricky, but for about four to five minutes every day, there's a dark, deep blue sky that you can photograph behind your venue or location.

The trick is to wait to take the shot until the exposure of the sky is the same as the building. That's how I took all these images. I went outside and pointed my camera at the sky and took an exposure and then I took an exposure from the building. When the two started to match, I started shooting.

You can do this with anything that time of night. I've even managed to shoot brides and grooms with this deep blue light behind them. None of the images below had any photoshop on them other than light saturation. This is how they looked on the back of the camera when I shot them.

I hope you enjoy getting this effect on your late afternoon shoots!





No comments: